Friday, February 10, 2012

Posture and Partners

Have I said that I LOVE the Push Phase so far?

Last night was Push Circuit 3, and was heavy arms/shoulders stuff.  My normal routine in picking the weights to use is to use whatever she's using at first.  Then adjust off of that in subsequent weeks.

I'm going to have to adjust majorly for next week's Push Circuit 3.  The weights I was using weren't even close to sufficient for failure in 8 reps.  In a few, I'm going to have to go as much as 15 pounds heavier, I think.

What I really want to talk about today is Posture and Partners.

I finally figured out posture last night.  Last night had quite a few bent-over style row exercises.  These normally destroy my back.  Even when I'm concentrating very hard on keeping my back straight, its still destroyed by the end of a set.  Trust me, my back is straight, because I'm usually concentrating on her boobs on the TV while I'm doing it.

In many of the exercises, she emphasizes that your posture will probably be different than most people's.  Everyone has different lengths to their legs, torso, back, etc., and what works for one person, isn't necessarily going to be the next person's ideal form.

I had always just copied what Boobarella was doing.  But with all the rows, I was really feeling pain in my back.  I had to do something to mitigate it.  In the set that was just straight bent over rows, the worst for me, she had her feet together, as if up against a plane.  I was copying that.  But the dude in the background had his right foot back about 4-5 inches.  I decided to try that.

Holy shitsnacks.  All the difference in the world.  The back pain spontaneously disappeared.  I wouldn't have been surprised if a rainbow of bacon and gold started shooting from my ass, I was so happy.

(You didn't think I wasn't going to do a pic of that, did you?)

I started adjusting slightly on all the following exercises, and I found that slight adjustments make all the difference in the world.  It was amazing.

Secondly, a quick note about working out with a partner.  Conrad stays with me until after basketball practices on Thursday nights.  Yesterday, I decided to do my workout before practice so I could watch the Celtics-Lakers game after practice.  (Note to Celtics post players:  BOX OUT FOR REBOUNDS.  DAMMIT).

I asked Conrad if he wanted to join in, do the same exercises just without weight.  He was all for it.  We did the workout together, and it was a riot.  He was on top of the exercises, and loved dialing the weight for me on the selectech dumbbells.

It really accented and improved my workout, I think.  So whenever he's home with me, I think he'll workout with me.  Very cool.

2 comments:

  1. That's great about Conrad! (Not so much the rainbow of bacon & gold.) So, he's a boob guy too.

    I tried to convince the cats to get on the treadmill, but they won't. They saw what happened to the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh...that would be funny if the same thing happened...a puss within a puss...COOTCEPTION!

    ReplyDelete