Thursday, February 2, 2012

Life Choice Protein Bar Review

So, as part of this 'diet' plan, protein is an important factor.  Protein bars are encouraged as good sources of natural protein, to supplement high protein foods such as turkey, pork, spinach, beans, etc...

There's two problems here, though.  Most protein bars are stupidly expensive.  Also, they taste terrible.  Like eating dusty chocolate wood shavings.  I've been experimenting with different brands, and the ones that I've found that have tasted better have usually been really high-calorie along with the protein, or really high-carbohydrate.  Both of which are kind of defeating the purpose.  Carbohydrates aren't forbidden by any means, but when you're trying to get protein and the carbohydrate count is higher, it's kind of a fool's errand.

A friend of mine at work, we'll call him Gollum (Ed. note:  you didn't think I was going to call you anything else did you?  Also, I've got something for you at the end of this...), keeps a supply of snacks in a drawer near his desk.  He and Queen Bootsy Ramen (Ed. note 2:  I'm changing the names to protect your identity, Kara) will hit this drawer for snacks throughout the day.  I work closely with them as they are the software support side to the modules that I program primarily.  I've been offered snacks from their drawer.  And sometimes, pre-New Temporarily Fat Jason's Hero's Journey, I would hit the stash for a bag of pretzels or something.  Recently, I asked if they had any protein bars in the drawer.  Gollum confirmed the lack of them, but said he'd get some on his way to Mount Doom.

So this Tuesday, there were protein bars in the drawer, and I snagged one.


Gollum had gotten a box of these at WalMart, 5 bars in the box for $3.68.  So, one hurdle was cleared, these guys were BY FAR the cheapest ones I had ever seen.

The second hurdle was too.  These things were good.  Very good.  Kind of like a peanut butter coated Pay Day bar.  The texture was very nice, and the peanut butter was flavorful without the slightly grassy whey protein taste.  It was good enough that the next day on lunch, while at WalMart, I snagged a box of those and a box of the chocolate ones to add to the snack drawer.

The chocolate ones were very good as well.  They were a bit softer in consistency, and if I had to pick one over the other, I'd pick the peanut butter ones first.  But still, they are easily the 2nd best protein bar I've had so far, right behind their peanut butter brothers.  Also at 210/190 (peanut butter)/(chocolate) calories, 21g of protein and 16g of carbohydrate, they fit in the diet very nicely.

On the 'Old Fat Jason Face Scale of Respectability', they get 4 and 1/2 Fat Jason Faces out of 5.




5 comments:

  1. Nice, and entertaining.
    I have been eating these from Wal-Mart for a while now. They're not bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hah! Great review. Like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Walmart doesn't carry them so I've been going to another one and they are most often sold out. I tried to order them online today and they are not available on line from Walmart any longer. I'm really sad as they are the best ones I've had. Does anyone know where I could order them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These bars are a godsend for me, I buy three boxes a week. I have had to make a lifestyle change from years and years of food debauchery and had to lose 100+ pounds. I found these bars @ Walmart one day and saw that they were only 190 CALS a bar. These are very tasty and very affordable compared to other protein bars. Now 11 monthes later and 125 pounds lighter, these are my main "sweet-tooth"indulgence that has been a big help in my weight loss adventure.

    ReplyDelete