Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Another Note about Eating

One of the tenets of most eating programs that I've seen is that you really need to eat well in the mornings.  I learned this well yesterday.

Yesterday, I slept through my alarm (set at 5:30) for about 2 hours.  I woke up at 7:30 and needed to shower and shave and get to work by 8 am.

My normal breakfast of a bagel thin with fat-free cream cheese and 2 or 3 turkey sausage links wasn't going to happen.  I grabbed a protein bar and called it good.

At morning break, I grabbed another protein bar.  I wasn't feeling particularly hungry, but did so anyway.  Lunch was my normal turkey sandwich and protein shake, along with a few baked potato chips.  At afternoon break, I wasn't hungry at all, so I didn't heed my own better thoughts and skipped the protein bar again.

My daughter, home from school this week for winter break, had made me a wonderful spinach salad with some leftover steak cut up on the top and it was waiting for me when I got home.  I ate it while on the webcam with the boys, visiting their grandparents up north for the week.

After I finished it, I was still starving.  Just...really hungry.

I grabbed one of the whole wheat bagel thins, threw some fat-free cheese and a couple slices of turkey pepperoni on it, and tossed it in the toaster oven for a bit.

At this point, I was probably still within my normal eating budget for the day, perhaps a little on the upper end of it, but okay.  Unfortunately, I was still hungry.

I had a handful of doritos at this point.

I wasn't boredom eating, or anything else.  I was just hungry.  I couldn't get enough.  I should have done something else.  Even though yesterday was a rest day, I could have gone for a walk, or hopped on the exercise bike, or did anything else.  But I ate.

I haven't been hungry like this at night in so long.  It had to be the crappy breakfast.  Lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. What fat-free cream cheese do you eat on your bagel thin? I've never found one I like but seems like fat-free food is improving all the time so maybe something's gotten better.

    Hang in there! You know the "I'm so hungry I could eat a cookiepuss" feeling is momentary. (I just wanted to say cookiepuss.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found I can get use to pretty much anything. Right now I'm all about fat-free cottage cheese, which is really just softer than normal cottage cheese, but to me tastes pretty much the same. And that stuff is an extremely efficient protein delivery device.

    As far as fat-free cream cheese, I just use the walmart brand. It's honestly not that great, but I throw jalapenos on it, and at that point you don't really notice the difference.

    ReplyDelete