Tuesday, February 21, 2012

More About Eating - What I've Learned

Eating used to be an event for me.

What I mean to say is, I used to think about eating.  Often.  Dinner was something that was planned for, anticipated, reveled in.  Lunches, breakfasts, snacks, all these were elaborate affairs.  Looking back on it now, I can see that a large part of my life was spent planning, anticipating, and eating food.



I still plan dinners.  Lunches and snacks as well.  But I plan them differently.  I don't think of them as affairs.  I no longer see them as events.  Not as much anyway.  I still look at dinner as a nice time to connect with the family, learn about everyone's day.  But that is now the primary goal.  Not something to do in between bites of food.

Not that I'm saying food can't be an event.  A dinner party, holidays, sure.  But not daily.  And especially not multiple times a day.  It's just wrong.

I'm starting to see food much more as maintenance.  Fuel for the body.  Not anything more.

1 comment:

  1. Eat to live, don't live to eat. Great realization...

    ReplyDelete