Thursday, April 4, 2013

Feasting on the Bones of Team Butterball

Run AND Burn Circuit 3.

That's right, Steph.  Your ass is going down.  (Not in the biblical sense, of course)

Conrad is home this week for spring break from school.  This morning he asked me if he could go on a run with me.  I enthusiastically said "Dude, awesome.  I'll take the afternoon off."  Even though I wouldn't normally run on a weight workout day, I've been asking him to take runs with me for over a year now, so I couldn't pass up the chance.

So I took the afternoon off and headed home.  Conrad and I needed to run an errand, so I let him pick lunch.  Unfortunately, he chose Denny's, against my better judgement.  To make it even worse, he had pancakes.  I tried telling him how much that would suck during the run, but he was pretty jacked to have pancakes.  I went with this avocado BLT, which replaced the tomato with avocado.  It would have been better with both, but whatever.

We got home, decided to let some digestion happen.  So we fired up the arcade cabinet and had some epic 80's arcade battles.  Frogger, Tron, Galaga, Ms. PacMan, Life Force, and Joust.  Joust for us was pretty kick-ass actually, had a great time with that one.

After about 45 minutes, we headed out for our run.  Just took it easy, letting him set the pace and take walk breaks when he needed them.  Our final total was 1.47 miles, with a sprint up the final hill.  It was great to get out and run on such an extremely nice day like this, and to have him with me made it even more fun.

Once we got back to the house, my eleven year old thespian got very melodramatic about taking a cold shower.  But I got down to some more business.  Burn Circuit 3.  A very heavy shoulders/legs workout, which, coming about 10 minutes after our run was doubly tough.  I had to cut a couple exercises short, one because my feet were starting to get sore, so I took my shoes off.  That made it very hard to finish the lunges completely, and secondly, I was dead ass tired.  But I made it through.

Which brings me to the educational portion of my message.

Post workout fuel.

There are soooo many post-workout supplements/drinks, etc, out there.  It's a huge industry.  Mike (who is SOLIDLY BEHIND TEAM TEMPORARILY FAT JASON...again, not in the biblical sense) mentioned that chocolate milk was amazing after workouts.

And it is.  It's just a killer pick-me-up.  Let me borrow from Fitness Magazine:  "Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy."

They are absolutely right.  I had about 8 ounces of chocolate milk after finishing the workout.  It was glorious.  Really picks you right back up.

So there you go.  SUCK IT, BUTTERBALL (again, not in the biblical sense)

4 comments:

  1. The only reason I work out is to have the chocolate milk afterwards. Which I am about to do now. Sounds like a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this was the first real post-workout chocolate milk I've had, and holy schnikeys did it make a difference. I probably should have had some between running and weights.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, well you just got lucky this week (not in the biblical sense).

    Or maybe you did and that's why you're so happy. Dammit I hate it when you're happy sometimes.

    Michael! In the corner! You get a timeout!

    ReplyDelete